What happened to Shivanthi Sathanandan? DFL official carjacked in violent incident, Social media res

Publish date: 2024-05-03

In a shocking incident on Tuesday, September 5, Shivanthi Sathanandan, the second vice chairwoman of the Democratic Farmer Labour Party (DFL), was violently carjacked in the driveway of her Folwell neighborhood home in Minnesota, with her young children present. The incident left Sathanandan with a broken leg, deep head lacerations, bruising, and multiple cuts, as revealed in a Facebook post she made on September 7.

Accompanied by a photograph showing her bleeding from the head after the attack, Sathanandan expressed her outrage in the post, saying, “Look at my face in the picture. This is the face of a mother who just had the sh$t beaten out of her. A mother whose only thought was, ‘Let me run far enough and fight hard enough so that my kids have a chance to get away.'”

Despite the trauma, Sathanandan praised law enforcement for their swift response, but the suspects involved in the carjacking remain at large.

Shivanthi Sathanandan, an Asian American of Indian Sri Lankan descent and a graduate of St. Paul Central High School and the University of Minnesota, used her Facebook post to recount the harrowing experience and called on the police to hold criminals accountable. She stated, “Look at my face. REMEMBER ME when you are thinking about supporting letting juveniles and young people out of custody roam our streets instead of HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.”

.@Shivanthi Sathanandan, the vice chair for the Democrat Party @MinnesotaDFL in Minnesota, virulently advocated for the dismantling of the Minneapolis Police Department even as neighborhoods in the city were burned to the ground by #BLM#Antifa rioters.

Now, she has come… pic.twitter.com/Plc4m2SSJO

— Andy Ngô 🏳️‍🌈 (@MrAndyNgo) September 7, 2023

This post quickly went viral, drawing attention to a shift in Sathanandan’s stance on law enforcement. Critics pointed to a three-year-old Facebook post in which she advocated for dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department following the killing of George Floyd by an officer in 2020. In that post, she stated, “Say it with me. DISMANTLE The Minneapolis Police Department,” and argued that it had “systematically failed the Black Community,” calling for the creation of a new infrastructure that works for all communities.

The contrasting views expressed in these two posts have sparked a division among social media users, with some highlighting the perceived hypocrisy of the situation. One commenter remarked, “You literally did everything in your power to dismantle the police. Now you’re reaping what you sowed.” Another sympathized with her ordeal but noted, “No one should have this happen to them, children present or otherwise. Not ever. Nevertheless, HOW COULD Ms. Sathanandan NOT SEE THIS COMING, considering the efforts of her party? If you fight for a lawless state, lawlessness happens in broad daylight.”

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51kxKmt02afmqigmrumsIytpmarmJ7DorrToaBmq5GptaK6wKebmqZdmbOtec6fnaKbmZa5bq%2FAq6Gam5uasW61zWatoqecmru1ecinmqKclaPBbr%2FOnKCapF2isqW1wGapnqugpLu0sdJmm6Kulae0pns%3D