Bobby Caldwell Obituary The Soulful Singer Dies At 71

Publish date: 2024-05-09

The famous ‘What You Won’t Do For Love’ singer departed from this world on March 14th, 2023, Tuesday, after a prolonged illness. 

The soulful singer-songwriter’s wife, Mary Caldwell announced his death on his official Twitter account Wednesday, saying he died at home. 

“Bobby passed away here at home. I held him tight in my arms as he left us. I am forever heartbroken. Thanks to all of you for your many prayers over the years,” she wrote. 

Along with his death announcement, Mary stated that her beloved husband’s health started deteriorating six years ago after complications from a medicine. 

Bobby’s health condition was diagnosed as being ‘floxed,’ a condition that arises as an adverse effect of consuming a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.

The havoc-wreaking antibiotic was prescribed to the singer in 2017. 

“He was prescribed that with a runny nose and cough, and it never should have happened, but it did, and it’s irreversible if you get hit real bad like he did,” she said. “It just wreaks havoc.”

Caldwell lived in New Jersey and is survived by his wife and daughters. Tributes, condolences, and respect have poured in for the famous singer. 

The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning in 2016 about using fluoroquinolones in treating “less serious” bacterial infections because of disabling side effects.

Warning labels were also updated in 2013 to include potentially irreversible nerve damage from the drug.

Caldwell’s signature voice transcended genres of jazz, R&B, and rock as his soulful hit song “What You Won’t Do For Love” ascended the Billboard 100 charts after its 1978 release on the debut album of the same name.  

“What You Won’t Do For Love” became a multi-generational hit partly because of its broad appeal as a sample and cover song. 

Caldwell’s “Open Your Eyes,” off his sophomore 1980 “Cat in the Hat” album, also became a sample for the chorus on Common’s hit song “The Light,” off his 2000 album “Like Water for Chocolate.”

Beyond making his own music, Caldwell wrote songs for other artists, including Amy Grant and Peter Cetera’s Grammy-nominated 1986 duet “The Next Time I Fall.”

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunCuzpuZsmWTlrmlw8Slo2ankp7Btq3RsmStoJViwLDBy5%2BspWWjnruosdFmm6Kdo2KutXmWamY%3D